Photographing My Work

I have been up against a challenge ever since I started needle felting of learning how to capture my work in the best light. I am finding that nearly as much as I love creating needle felted characters, I love taking pictures of them. My favorite lighting is natural lighting and my favorite backdrop is my gorgeous Alaskan scenery but I feel it is important to get several excellent, high-res shots of each piece in a controlled studio setting. But how?? So, like most things I'm curious about, I turned to the internet. After much research, I finally have a solution. It is called a light box or a light tent.

My Light Box in Action

My nephew made mine out of PVC conduit and unions. It comes apart for easy storage. I just have a plain white sheet to drape over the top - this filters the light - and I purchased a Flotone photographic backdrop that graduates from black to white. I use this as a sweep and stand my work right on the backdrop - this gives a seamless, wrinkle-free background. I think it gives professional look to my photos. Beside that - I have two 300 watt clamp lights to shine light in from either side to control or even eliminate shadows.

My Light Box Unveiled

Light Box

Here is a photo of one of my dolls, Evelyn making her debut in the light box.
Evelyn in the New Light Box
And in this photo - I didn't even need to turn on my lighting - I have a nice, bright studio and this was taken on a lovely, sunny day.

Comments

  1. Kay, thank you for this post. I just saw it, and it looks like a great solution to half of my problem. I'll be working on this after the first of the year.

    Problem two is getting a reasonable, but good camera.

    I love the core wool, by the way!
    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment